The article What Digital Age? in the journal From Now On mentions how members of society prefer an equal balance between the digital world and the world of nature. After watching Sherry Turkle make her powerful speech on “aloneness”, I couldn’t agree anymore with her research and stats. I feel children and adults think they have to keep up with the digital world and forget the simple things in life. The pressure society places on individuals and on businesses to be up-to-date with technology is actually back firing and is causing mental, social, and emotional problems in people. We need to remember that all of the fuss about technology in schools is crucial but at the same time we need to ask ourselves how much technology is too much technology?
I think your post holds a very good point. I do believe that society is putting a lot of pressure on the use of technology and the need to be up to date. I don't think we'll ever learn something truely if we're forced to continue to be up to date.
ReplyDeleteYour right. If we are forced into it, all we will have is a sour taste in our mouths and anxiety. On the other hand, if we don't keep up with technology we will fall further behind.
DeleteI totally agree with you. When are we going to say that it is too much technology? There is such a thing as too much a of a good thing. I think Sherry Turkle is right. Technology is affecting us in ways that we do not know yet. We know that it is corrupting relationships between family, friends, and co-workers now. What will it continue to do if we continue to allow it?
ReplyDeleteYou know Carlla...like we have talked about in other classes, sometimes the old fashion way is just fine.
DeleteI read an article, for another class, about this boy who wanted his mom's attention, but she was too busy on her blackberry (they were out on a mother/son lunch date) and after many failed attempted on his part to gain her attention he ended up screaming at the top of his lungs and biting her.
ReplyDeleteI think she's going to start putting her blackberry down from now on. It's just a shame it came to that.
I feel like my husband is going to do that, because of all the time I am spending on classwork for my two online classes. I feel like I am always locked away blogging, commenting, reading, or just plain working on assignments. It's been a long summer.
DeleteWhen do we take the time to sit on the porch and talk or just listen to nature and feel the breeze. I spent this weekend planting flowers and swimming with friends. No phones, nothing.
ReplyDeleteI worry we sometimes use technology at school for the sake of using it rather than as a tool that truly improves student learning.
@Stacy - maybe the was what my cat was doing when he raced in like a maniac, making his attack noise and leaped for the top of the dresser. He didn't quite make it and was left hanging by his front paws suitable embarrassed when I peeled him off!
I couldn't agree more with the article. I think that technology has wonderful benefits in the classroom and elsewhere, but I do not think that it is all there is in life. Many of us are constantly plugged in and rarely notice all of the things surrounding us.
ReplyDelete